May and Mommies!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the amazing mommies in the world! I am so blessed to have an incredible mom who inspired me to be a teacher. She has been a high school math teacher for 30 years and is still kicking butt! As a teacher, I get to interact with moms each day. I work with super moms and get to teach students who have super moms. As a 24 year old who is responsible for nobody but herself I have to say...I have NO idea how you moms do it! SO, take today to relax and make your kids and husbands treat you like the queens you are! 

Tech Tip of the Week

Let's talk about the power of the OSMO! Who has had a chance to play with this?! It is AMAZING. For real...if you have children of your own start saving up to buy one for their next birthday or holiday gift. All you need is an iPad and an OSMO kit. 

A few co-workers and I were talking about how awesome it would be to have these in our classroom. SO, our fantastic principal surprised us by ordering some for our school. I knew my students would love it when I found myself bringing it home from school and playing it myself...it is a ton of fun! There is a math kit, words kit and tangram kit. The mirror attachment allows the table to be your "playing field" and provides a hands-on learning experience. 

Just...watch below:


Cool, right?! I use this a center during our literature block, math block and for free choice Friday. I have 21 students and one OSMO...just one. Yes...it would be awesome to have 21 OSMO's in my room! However, I don't need more than one. In fact, I only want one. BUT WHY?! My students work  together in groups of four or five and the conversations that spark are conversations that every teacher dreams of! They go in order and each student has their own turn when they are the only ones that get to be touching the tiles. That rule requires them to use their words to help, be supportive and learn from each other when it is not their turn to touch the tiles. The conversations I hear are music to my ears! "OH! This word needs the 'ch' sound. Do you know what letters make that sound? Ok good grab the tiles...grab the tiles!!!" Then they all celebrate and cheer because they solved the puzzle. It is adorable. Find a way to get an OSMO in your classroom--ask your principal or do a Donor's Choose. Get on it!!!! Check out my kiddos using the OSMO below.


   


What does everyone do to celebrate Mother's Day in their classrooms?! I am always looking for news ideas to make our moms feel special but my absolutely favorite craft is our handprint flower pots. It's super easy and super cute! Plus, my kids love any opportunity to put their hands in paint! We also send home decorated tea cups with a bag of tea :) 


5 more weeks of school left! Ah! I am not ready to let my kiddos go but I am so excited for them to be successful in second grade. As the year comes to a close, I will be trying to do crazy fun projects in my room. I will be posting all of our fun as quickly as I can! Keep in mind you can always follow me on Instagram or Twitter for what's happening in our room daily :) 

Have a wonderful week everybody! I am going to my sixth Pure Barre class in a week today--I'm a I am loving it so far. A fantastic work out--I recommend everybody gives it a try! Physical and mental health are so important--so take a break from your classroom and sweat!

I also started taking a hand lettering class just for fun--here's my latest masterpiece! I need a lot more practice... :)



Happy Teaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment