Fry Day! & other stuff :)

Wooo happy Monday everybody! I finally got to debut my Fry Day shirt and then celebrate Fry Day--so I've been in a fry coma until just now :)
Anyway, the end of the year countdown has begun! Can you believe it?! We only have 22 days left of school! May and June are so crazy busy and I love it--lots of extra recess time outside in the sun, too. I just got back from New York--I was there to attend my sisters college graduation! She graduated with an engineering degree--she got the brains in the family :) Happy to be back in the mitten though and ready to see my kiddos!




Tech Tip of the Week

MATH TALKS! Are you doing them in your classroom? If not, you need to be! They are a fun way to activate your students math brains at the start of class and a fantastic way for your students to develop strong number sense. Math talks can be short or long--totally up to you and your students. We usually spend about 15 minutes on our math talks each day. Some days they last even longer! I have had some math talks that have lasted the entire math class. So many teachable moments! A couple of my favorites are Look quick! and the Magic Ten Wand. I wanted to share a quick resource that one of our ELL teachers and former first grade teachers (Amy Gregory) shared with me last year. It is a virtual rekenrek that you can project on your screen. We like to play a game where I move some beads over to one side, and they have to guess how many are on the other side (the other side is covered). Once your students have mastered one row of beads, add another! It has a ton of features to make your math talks different each time. Give it a try with your class! 



Spanish Market

We are lucky enough to live in a district where we can walk to any building in the district within five minutes. It provides awesome opportunities for us to collaborate building to building. Earlier this year, Rosana Tocco's high schoolers and my first graders worked together to put on a Cardboard Challenge Carnival. SO, when we heard that her students were putting on an authentic Spanish Market, we knew we had to show up to support them! I was so impressed with the entire project--students dressed up to represent their Hispanic culture, sold Hispanic goods and foods and played Hispanic music--allowing for an authentic Spanish Market ambiance. It was an awesome experience for my first graders AND me. I have never been to a Spanish Market, but if I do one day I imagine it will be something like this one! Awesome job to Rosana and her wonderful students. Check out some pictures below.

    
     

Roller Coaster Challenge

Looking for something F.U.N. to do with your students now that the year is coming to a close? Well my class would like to challenge YOU. 


Happy Teaching!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment