Base Ten Organization

Schools go a little later in New York, so today was my moms last day of school! I went to school in the same district she teachers in, so I always love to go back and visit everyone. Now that I am an official teacher with my own classroom, I have what you might call teacher vision. Only teachers have teacher vision. Teacher vision is kind of hard to explain--but basically it is when you see something in a school hallway and you wonder...Is that free? Can I take that? I can totally use that in my classroom. Is someone seriously throwing that out?! ... Then, you take it (making sure you've checked with the person who ditched it first--that part is very important) and put it to good use. One teachers trash is another ones precious treasure. What I am getting at here is that today I hit the jackpot. Teachers left and right were ditching stuff and I was taking it all! They were relieved and happy their belongings were finding a 1st grade home!

My mother then had the brilliant idea to stop by my old elementary school and look for grade level goodies. I left with 5 BOXES full of stuff (score)! The pictures don't even do it justice--my moms SUV was full, too Not only was it great to get more supplies for my classroom, it was great to see old teachers and go back to the place that instilled my love for learning. That is where the magic happens and I'm so lucky I get to be on the other side of it now.
Now that I am done rambling...to the good stuff. One of the very useful things I acquired was different types of base ten blocks. Lots of different colors and even some foam base ten blocks--which I think my kids will really like.

I could not stand this past year how I organized my base ten blocks (in ziplock bags). Half the time the bags weren't closed, the amount of blocks in the bags were totally uneven, and by the end of the year the bags were totally destroyed (if they even made it that far). SO here is where my crazy organizational side comes out. I went to the Dollar Tree and found these Betty Crocker Divided Containers.  ($1 a piece, about $26 total--completely worth the money for me). Next year, each student will have their own box of base ten blocks to be responsible for (alleluia). All that's left to do is number them and decide where I want to put them--desks or shelves? Any suggestions are appreciated.
How do you organize your base ten blocks?

Happy Teaching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment